May 15, 2015

This week 5/15




Photo by Julie Hawkinson
Hope you had a great week, and a happy Mother's Day if you celebrate!  Recently I've been working part-time doing residential garden maintenance, so I thought I'd take another stab at the plantings around my mom's house.  This time, most of the plants are perennial, so hopefully they'll keep growing and thrive.  Most of the plants are hostas, but there are some succulents, pansies, phlox, and lambs ear, and others too.  I've never known much about ornamental plantings, so it's great learning about them.  The pansies are actually ones I grew last year that survived the winter and a couple that reseeded.  The reseeded ones occasionally have fun colors popping in rather than solids like their parents had.














In other news the rest of the mantises hatched, and I even caught the last set while they were hatching.  And they're growing fast!  One has already molted, and is a lovely pale green.  More hatching is happening at the farm as well. Remember those robin eggs from last week?  They've hatched!


As for my actual farm work, it's getting done bit by bit - I just planted a ton of parsley starts this morning.  It's been so dry though. I've been spending more time watering than anything else. Also, the weeds are starting to pop up, so I'm going to have to start pulling them as well.  The work never ends, but I like it, so it's okay with me.

Enjoy!
Amber

P.S. Thomm is speaking at the Pine Bush UFO fair tomorrow at 10 so, if you're free, stop by and hear him speak about aliens, and maybe pick up one of his books!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment