May 7, 2015

This week 5/7

catnip tea!
so many nettles

















The pickup went great, so much so that I forgot to take any pictures!  I was also a bit behind on getting set up but, as no one showed up until after 5, all was well. I might push back the pickups to starting at 5, in fact.  It was great seeing everyone and chatting a bit. A neighbor even stopped by in his antique car to buy flowers!  I hope to have more herbs and such for sale next pickup, if there are any extra after all the shares are filled of course.


photo by Thomm Quackenbush
Birds are all over the farm. One robin even decided to make a nest on a work table near where we keep extra pots and flats that has 3 beautiful blue eggs in it.  The apple trees are flowering along with everything else and triggering sneezing everywhere.  Everything is just so much greener then last week too, and my transplants are just bursting out of their blocks waiting for me to notice them and put them in some actual ground.



But the best thing that happened this week is that the praying mantis eggs hatched!  Two of them have released a ton of rambunctious youngsters, that keep trying to escape or pick fights.  It's amazing just watching them and how alert and fast they can be.  So far, I've separated out about 15 from the rest, but I'm not sure I can do that for all the others - so for now they've just got to share their giant room until I get them out to the farm.  Or maybe I'll just let them fight it out and just keep the strongest! Are there insect cage matches?  I guess that would be a little mean.













I hope you've all been enjoying the sunny weather this week.
Amber



No comments:

Post a Comment